- 4 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced into thick rings
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 quart canola oil for frying
- Place the onions, egg substitute, and flour into separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet or deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). Dip rings of onion into flour, then into the egg substitute, and then into the bread crumb mixture, shaking off any excess after each dip. Carefully drop each onion ring into the hot oil, and fry for about 30 seconds on each side, or until golden. Remove from hot oil to paper towels to drain. Serve hot with lots of ketchup.